Thursday, May 24, 2012

Alcohol On the Brain

Alcohol On the Brain

Alcohol and BrainTo be completely honest, when I was younger I never understood why the legal drinking age in the US is 21. I always thought of age as a random line in the sand, and that it really didn’t mean much. No one ever “suddenly” feels mature and completely responsible when they turn 21. I know plenty of 18 and 19 year olds that are more mature than many other adults.
However, I recently started taking a neuroscience course and learned some fascinating things about brain development. The legal drinking age that used to seem so random to me now makes a lot more sense. I learned that during adolescence, your brain is actually still developing. Using alcohol and drugs between the ages of 15-22 can really impair your development. It’s a kind of like drinking heavily while pregnant – not a good idea. Having toxic substances floating around in the body just isn’t beneficial.
Lets put things this way. It isn’t good to be subjecting your body and brain to toxins while you’re still growing and developing. So please kids, don’t try to rush through life. It’s important to protect your brain during your adolescent years; you’re going need to use it for a long, long time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts